1215 N. Main Street
Jacksonville, FL 32206
Mr. Hall owned a building on Adams street right next door to their Ford Dealership and William Catlin became the first exclusive Used Car Dealer in the state of Florida.
He started this in 1919. By 1930 he had five used car lots in Jacksonville and his biggest problem was getting cars to sell. He bought land at the NE corner of 2nd and Main Street for a Used Car lot where the business is still located. In 1930, he took on a Desoto-Plymouth Distributorship extending to Orlando in the South, Tallahassee in the West, and Waycross and Valdosta in the North. It was a 5 year contract and he would also get a second one into 1940.
He was made a partner in 1938 before going on Active Duty in Italy in 1940. Marshall Catlin was offered a Partnership in 1944 while overseas in the Central Pacific. The Partnership took on a Studebaker franchise at 301 Park Street in 1945 adding a Packard franchise in 1955 and a Distributorship for Mark IV Air Conditioners for cars and trucks in 1956. They dropped the Studebaker Packard franchise in 1957 and moved the operation to 2nd and Main Street. When William Catlin died William Catlin Jr. bought out Marshall Catlin’s interest and became the sole proprietor.